While most meatloaf traditional recipes call for beef, some ground pork can add more flavors to the dish. One of the challenges is to make sure that the center of the meatloaf is fully cooked through, reaching at least 165 degrees or more. This recipe is for 4 but I prefer to double up on all of the ingredients to have leftovers as I like to make meatloaf sandwiches the day following.
- 1 lb Ground beef
- ½ lb Ground pork
- ½ cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 medium white onions
- 1½ Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ tsp rosemary
- ¾ tsp nutmeg
- 4 tsp flour
- 3 slices bacon
- 5 Tbsp lard or butter
- 1½ carrot
- 1½ cups hot beef broth
- 3 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 Tbsp flour or scorn starch for thickening
- In a large bowl, mix beef and pork well and evenly, add breadcrumbs and mix further. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel and dice one onion, heat one tablespoon of butter in hot skillet, add diced onion and parsley to hot skillet, sauté until onion is golden brown and reduce heat.
- Beat eggs in large shallow container, add salt and pepper, rosemary and nutmeg to eggs and mix well.
- Pour onion/parsley and egg mixture over ground meat, knead together until uniformly mixed, mold meat mixture into mold, roll loaf in flour until coated evenly all over, lay bacon slices in the middle of the casserole dish, set floured loaf on top of bacon, peel and slice carrot and second onion, pour hot beef broth into casserole dish, scatter sliced carrot and onion around meatloaf, heat 4 tablespoons of butter or lard in warm skillet and pour over meatloaf and place in pre-heated oven.
- Bake 1 hour or until cooked through, basting often. With 5-10 minutes cooking time remaining, spread sour cream over the meatloaf.
- Remove dish from oven and let rest for 3-4 minutes, move meatloaf carefully to serving dish.
- Stir flour or cornstarch into the juice remaining in the casserole dish and make a rich sauce.
- Slice and serve immediately with sauce on the side. Serve with fresh mashed potatoes.