Gambas Al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp)
The Dominican Republic has become one of the most popular tourist destination over the past few years. On a short trip to the capital Santo Domingo I was able to visit the old part of the city that shows the rich Spanish heritage. Although they reached independence from Spain in 1821, the cuisine is international with many ties to Spain. In the evening I was invited by family friends to a delicious dinner of fresh shrimp at their home.
Here is their simple recipe that can be served as an appetizer or a main course with little preparation time.
- 24 Jumbo Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced
- 1½ tsp Dry Red Chili Pepper, sliced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Parsley, chopped
- Dry the cleaned shrimp well and season with salt.
- In a large casserole heat oil on medium high heat, add in this order: garlic, shrimp and chilli pepper.
- Sauté quickly for about 3 minutes or until shrimp are done.
- Place on platter, sprinkle chopped parsley and serve piping hot.
- Serve with seasonal salad and rice.