Nonya Tamarind Prawns
Over the years I made many trips to Southeast Asia, where I enjoyed wonderful and simple foods. This dish takes little time and is surprisingly good. Buy the biggest, freshest prawns you can find, marinate them in seasoned tamarind juice and stir-fry. That's all there is to it.
- 2 lb large raw prawns
- ½ cup tamarind pulp, soaked in 1/2 cup water, squeezed and strained for juice
- 4 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Wash and drain prawns with cold water. For each prawn, cut off the tip of the head with the feelers, leaving the rest of the head and shell intact.
- Cut along the back with a sharp knife to remove the dark intestinal tract and allow the marinate to penetrate. Put the prawns in a large bowl.
- Add the tamarind juice , soy sauce, salt and sugar, mixing well with your hands. Marinate for 25-30 minutes.
- Heat oil in wok. Drain the prawns thoroughly, then stir-fry over high heat until just cooked, about 3 minutes.