This Surinamese Soup recipe comes from the owner of the Feeding Gooood restaurant. Nikita Tjon - Affo specializes in dishes from the island produced from sustainably farmed ingredients only.
- 4 lb pumpkin, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- ½ finely green pepper, finely chopped
- 5 Cardamon seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 sprigs cilantro
- 4 bay leaves
- 10 balls allspice
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 5 oz rich cream
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Put oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat, add onions, garlic, cilantro and sauté equally. Add curry powder and cook it into ingredients. Add Cardamon seeds, bay leaves and allspice before adding the pumpkin, let it cook for a few minutes and stir well
- Add the cumin powder to the pumpkin mixture and cook for another 5-6 minutes. Then add the broth, reduce the heat and let it cook until the pumpkin is soft. When the pumpkin is soft, remove the allspice and bay leaves out of the pan.
- Transfer into a blender or processor, process until completely smooth. Season with salt, pepper and sugar to taste.
- Place in a large bowl, add the cream and your soup is finished. Serve with roasted garlic bread.